Prev: FT Campaigns Next: Re: FT Campaigns

Re: Campaign Rules

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 15:11:35 -0500
Subject: Re: Campaign Rules

I quibbled:
>>a) I think moving 1/3 AU per thrust point per 2.5 hours--if I'm
>>reading that right--is rather fast.  Or did I miss something?

Schoon replied:
>To be honest, I didn't do the physics when I was writing it. I wanted
>something that worked and/or felt right and didn't want to get too
caught
>up in the nit-noid calculations.

If you assume Real Physics and simple linear acceleration
(acceleration constant in direction and magnitude)...

a)
 1 turn = 15 min and 1 mu=1000km means 1 thrust = 0.25 gee, roughly.
This would make sense of the MT planetary landing rules and also tends
to explain why few ships go above 6 Thrust--the crew can't function
for long periods.

To start at 0 vector, thrust at 0.25 gee and cover 1/3 AU, you would
need to thrust for about 55 hours, i.e. about 1/3 of a week.

b)
1 turn = 7.5 minutes and 1mu = 1000km means 1 thrust = 1 gee.
In that case covering 1/3 AU would take roughly 27.5 hours or 1/6 of a
week.

c)
for you realists out there who want to stick at 1 thrust = .01 gee,
you've probably already done the math and know that moving 1/3 AU will
take you something like 275 hours, which is about 11.5 days

Prev: FT Campaigns Next: Re: FT Campaigns