Prev: Re: St Jon Speaks Next: Simpler Campaign w/ System Rules

Re: Time/Distance scale for FT (sort of related top safe speed, et al)

From: RWHofrich@a...
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 10:57:28 EST
Subject: Re: Time/Distance scale for FT (sort of related top safe speed, et al)

In a message dated 12/22/99 6:22:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
laserlight@quixnet.net writes:

> The usual assumption is T = 15min (to tie in with one Dirtside turn)
>  and D = 1000km (because it's neat).
>
>  To the best of my knowledge, I was first to propose the T = 7.5 min,
>  D= 1000km, which also fits 2 to 1 with DS2 and lets you assume 1
>  thrust point = 1 gee.
>
>  Keith Watt, whose site you should memorize if you want realistic
>  numbers, says D = 80km (or 40km is you distribute acceleration over a
>  turn as Real physics as opposed to Full Thrust physics) and he goes
>  into all the reasons why:  www.exodusproject.com .

Okay, but this actually makes the MT rule saying that partially
aerodynamic
hulls require Thrust-6 (and fully aerodynbamic require Thrust-4) to make
landing on an earth-like world make even less sense.  Unless we (or
someone)
come up with appropriate PSB.

Personally, I like smaller size for MU (80-100 km).

I have thought about running a "low-tech" Full Thrust game, with each
side
limited to the number of pushes (thrusts) they can expend due to fuel
requirements and using vector rules.  Hmmm....

Rob

Prev: Re: St Jon Speaks Next: Simpler Campaign w/ System Rules