Prev: Re: Twas the night before Christmas... 2 variants plus a memo Next: RE: HAPPY XMAS! [CLEAN STAMP]

[FT] Sensors and Ranges

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 18:59:02 -0500
Subject: [FT] Sensors and Ranges

I note that sensors and ECM aren't much used.  How about if Enhanced
Sensors give you a +1" per 12" range, Superior = +2 per 12", and
facing ECM subtracts range the same way?  Applies to direct fire
weapons only, not missiles.

Example: Beam 2 with Superior sensors fires at target 25" away and
protected by ECM.  Beam 2's range is 12 + 2 (Sensors) -1 (ECM) = 13"
per range band, so target is within range and gets hit by 1d.

Example:  Vessel with normal sensors fires a PTorp against a ship with
ECM at range 18".  Normally it would hit on a 4+, but ECM subtracts
1.5" from the effective range so the PTorp now needs a 5+ to hit,
unless Indy is firing in which case it needs a 6 plus reroll 6 as
usual....

It does add a little complexity, but isn't all that difficult and
gives a reason for actually putting sensors on board ships other than
specialized scouts.  I predict it would also ad a premium to fine
maneuvering--"if I can keep him at 34", I can hit him with 2dice per
Beam-3, and he can't hit me at all".

Comment?  Before anyone says it's too complex for you, play DBA for a
week and you'll get used to adding the factors.

Prev: Re: Twas the night before Christmas... 2 variants plus a memo Next: RE: HAPPY XMAS! [CLEAN STAMP]