Prev: RE: Michael Brown's DS2 page Next: Mini Transporting

Re: Medtech 2180 Part II

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 23:58:26 -0500
Subject: Re: Medtech 2180 Part II

I think if you can achieve a level of technology necessary to do what
Tom
purports then there's absolutely no reason to have "individual" soldiers
at all. No economical reason to concentrate on regeneration, evac
medical
services what so ever, it's economically a waste of time. (unless
sthey're
fairly light wounds). You simple clone/create/grow a few archetypes for
bodies, then program in one or more or whatever various types of brain
maps you need. Edit out whatever makes them people (though not human),
or
whatever would make them hestitant to perfrom after they've seen their
buddies killed (to some extent) and you have hundreds or thousands of
soldiers to do whatever you want. If they get killed who gives a shit?
It's merely a cost decision nothing more. But I'd suspect if we could do
that then we could design robots or cyborgs to do it without
interjecting
the imperfections of human flesh at all. Either way occasionally, daily
weekly after operations whatever, you simply do back ups and updates to
the memory map so this way you are capturing and disseminating relevant
experience amongst your force.

Along these lines you would very rapidly have soldiers that would be
unstoppable from at least an experience/competency point of view. Of
course if you have ONE FUCK-UP, and one of them through a program glitch
or unforseen evolution or whatnot rediscovers his self awareness and
realizes what you are doing to them then you are in some deep deep shit.

It's sort of a take on Universal Soldier, Blade Runner, whatever.

It certainly makes for some good fiction! (I'm already thinking...)

Los

Prev: RE: Michael Brown's DS2 page Next: Mini Transporting