Prev: Re: Archives Next: Re: [FT] Jump limits

Re: [FT] Jump limits

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:24:32 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Jump limits

The next time you ask me a hypothetical question, the answer is 'no'
wrote:

> There are some problems with assuming that stellar masses are directly
> related to stellar types. In fact, there is no correlation at all. For
> example, you can have an M0 star, but is it a dwarf, a giant, or a
> supergiant star? Each will have a different mass value.

Mark is right.	To really do jump limits right you should base it on the
mass
of the star and then add spectral color and age as background.	This
background will influence type of planets, etc., so it is useful.  Also
remember that most stars are in multiple star systems, not counting
brown
dwarfs.  Some astronomers swear Jupiter is a brown dwarf, so Sol just
might
be a binary star system too.

IAS

Prev: Re: Archives Next: Re: [FT] Jump limits