Prev: Re: Card Draws Next: RE: [FT] About these Phalons....

Re: Wither Canada - er - Japan?

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:10:00 +1000
Subject: Re: Wither Canada - er - Japan?

A germane quote caught by one of my tentacles...

> STRATFOR.COM Global Intelligence Update
> December 17, 1999
>
> After Seattle: The French and Japanese Strategies

> After the disastrous World Trade Organization (WTO) meeting in
> Seattle, France has renewed its determination to end U.S. dominance
> of the global trade environment. Believing that Washington
> monopolizes organizations like the WTO and the International
> Monetary Fund (IMF), the Chirac government is attempting to join
> forces with Japan. Ultimately, efforts to change the balance of
> power from within these organizations are likely to falter. France,
> Japan and others will eventually consider abandoning these
> institutions and creating their own.
>

> Analysis:
>
> Prime Minister Lionel Jospin met with Japanese counterpart Keizo
> Obuchi in Tokyo this week to discuss reforming the World Trade
> Organization (WTO). The two men issued a joint declaration stating
> the two nations' intent to cooperate in making the WTO "more open
> and more transparent" as well as a desire to see it "develop
> towards a multilateral system." At the meeting, Jospin implicitly
> blamed the United States for the debacle in Seattle. "It was not
> the fault of Japan, France or Europe," he said, according to Agence
> France-Presse.

SOURCE : http://www.stratfor.com/
Which is a reasonable site for keeping informed on world strategic
developments.

--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: Card Draws Next: RE: [FT] About these Phalons....