Prev: Re: SG II Snipers and the spirit of the game Next: RE: [MKW] MKWS ALERT

Re: [FH] Great Powers Revised

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 19:12:20 -0500
Subject: Re: [FH] Great Powers Revised

>>Same trio I came up with for Taiwan to be annexed by, but which one?
>
>Personally, I think none of the above...

Okay, why not?

>>action  in 2183: ESU attempts to woo Japan away from NAC.
(snip)
>>True--but the ESU would be happy just to get Japan _away_ from NAC.
>
>Japan is unlikely to be wooed into joining the ESU. Too many problems
>historically. Okay, this IS the far future, and we know how alliances
change
>(Britain once owned chunks of France, then fought against France,
then became
>an ally; in this century alone Britain was best friends with Japan,
then
>fought a war against Japan, and is now cordial with Japan).
>
>Assuming that things aren't patched up (50 years later, China is
still
>rightfully bitter at Japan), both Russia and China have historically
been at
>odds with Japan. So has Korea. There's a LOT of anti-Japanese
sentiment in the
>ESU to be overcome. Especially since a Japan in the ESU would tend to
rise to
>a position of dominance.

This doesn't seem to have much bearing on the GZGverse.  ESU already
has China, India and Russia in one organization.  I can imagine their
"political infighting" emphasizes the "fighting" more than the
"political".

>Going by Jon's naming of the figures in Stargrunt, he seems to
suggest that
>the Japanese forces are mercenary forces. This suggests Japan has
formed a
>somewhat belligerent neutrality, a nation housing off shore dataforts
and
>renting soldiers to the highest bidder. The Japanese don't appear to
be part
>of the ESU, or any other, structure.

Canon says NAC considers Japan to be under its protection.  Maybe the
ESU's efforts have been at least partially successful, to separate the
two?

Prev: Re: SG II Snipers and the spirit of the game Next: RE: [MKW] MKWS ALERT