Prev: Re: SG II Snipers and the spirit of the game Next: Card Draws and Fleet Admirals

RE: [ft] simple campaign system

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 10:11:24 -0500
Subject: RE: [ft] simple campaign system

Nice.
My comments are marked by [Bri]
-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft/
-----

[Bri] I would double the starting costs, but make production quarterly
(every 4th turn). This makes a slightly longer game, but turning out a
Battleship each month on each homeworld seems like a lot. As Mr.
Robertson
suggested make prototypes cost 5x normal cost for the first ship. Be
sure to
include the costs of expendables (fighters, missiles, etc.) in the ship
cost.

> *****
> Turn sequence:
> 1.	Pay upkeep/scrap on ships/bases/construction facilities.
> Each ship/base has a maintainance cost of 10% which must be paid.  If
it's
> not paid, then the ship is scrapped to give 25% of it's new cost if in
> friendly system.
> Construction bases require upkeep equal to it's mass.
>
> 2.	Move ships
> Ships move up to 2 hexes.  Fleets are visible up to 2 hexes away
(within
> move range).	This takes into account scout ships/drones etc keeping
an
> eye
> around.
>
> 3.	Scanning & Resolve combat
> Ships in the same hex are told what contacts are in scan range in
escorts,
> cruisers, capitals.  The fleet is then given 1 of 3 orders: attack,
> retreat
> or lurk.
> If both fleets have retreat or lurk orders, then no combat takes
place.
> Attack vs Lurk is a standard space battle.
> Attack vs retreat gives the attacker a 5+ chance of engaging the enemy
> before they escape.  This battle is resolved using FTL combat rules.
> If the system's owner doesn't have attack orders, then combat takes
place
> around the planet, with fixed defences & the Construction base in
orbit.

[Bri] I also liked the idea posted by Roger Books. Make it an opposed
die
roll. Add the lowest thrust ship to the roll (slow ships may be
sacrificed).
Also add 2 to the retreating fleet's roll (as it will probably be closer
the FTL limit than to the attacking fleet). If attacker wins the roll,
the
initial set up should be the attacker entering from the PA, A, or SA
angle;
resolve using normal FT/FB rules. If the retreating fleet wins the roll,
 it
moves to the next location on the campaign map.

> 4.	Conquer territory
> If the system has functional fixed defences, then a second battle
needs to
> be resolved (if needed).
> Marines are then landed on the planet.  Compare the total mass of
marines
> the planets production, this is the odds of conquering the planet.
> Attacker/Defender
> 1:3	1:2	1:1	2:1	3:1
> 6+	5+	4+	3+	2+

[Bri] This seems a little in favor of the attacker. It is fairly
accepted
that 3:1 odds are the minimum odds required to take a defended
objective.
3:1 odds for the attacker should yield a 1:1 chance of success. I would
suggest opposed rolls with the following modifier to the attacker's
roll:
Attacker/Defender
6:1	  5:1	    4:1     3:1     2:1     1:1     1:2
 +4	   +2	     +1      -	     -1      -2      -4
This will make those transports the target of the space battles. And it
increases the need for strategy (do I send them in now, later
unescorted, or
build both an attacking and escorting force).

> If the attacker fails, then all the marines are lost.  Marines cost 5
> pts/mass with no maintainance.
> If the attack succeeds, then the planet is conquered.  No funds are
> generated next turn, but it produces it's full amount after that.  If
the
> shipyards have been destroyed, then they cannot be rebuilt at this
planet.

[Bri] You did not describe the method of destroying the shipyards. Are
they
automatically destroyed when the planet is conquered?

> 5.	Build new ships (construction/repairs/resupply)
> New ships are built from available funds.  Maximum construction in any
> system is equal to that system's budget, less maintainance for the
> construction facilities.  This puts a cap on construction, which makes
> spreading the facilities around important.
> Ships can also be repaired at any construction facility.  The cost is
10%
> per damage row of the ship's base cost.  Destroyed ships cannot be
> repaired
> (obviously).
> Resupply is purchased at normal cost and transported in freighters to
> where
> required (fleet train) or the warships stop at the system to resupply.
 If
> done properly, you need to keep track of specific supplies (ie: the
system
> might have 23 std fighters, 8 heavy fighters & 3 SML(std) salvoes in
> stock).

[Bri] Is resupply created at the shipyards? How are the shipyards
supplied
with materials from the planets? If materials needed to be transported,
it
would provide more targets and make it more important to decentralize
construction.