Prev: Re: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers Next: Re: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers

Re: NI and OU

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 11:54:33 +1000
Subject: Re: NI and OU

Glover, Owen wrote:

> Hmm, actually you might be surprised about how much stronger and
> reinforced nationalistic feelings become with social/ethnic groups
> that have migrated to Australia. Without over generalising - Turks,
> Vietnamese, Greeks, Maltese and Lebanese in Sydney and Melbourne for
> example have some extremely closed little communities.

Oh, I agree. But they don't build walls around these areas, with razor
wire on top. And although they tend to mix only "with their own kind",
there are no raids from one area to another. There's no "Paki Bashing".
There's no risk of a Chinese being murdered in Vietnamatta (Cabramatta -
a heavily Vietnamese area in Sydney) just because he's Chinese.
Do some travelling around the world, and you'll see all the above. e.g.
the "Peace Wall" separating Protestant/Unionists from
Catholic/Republicans in Northern Ireland. Try entering the Turkish part
of Cyprus if your name ends in -ian.
As I said, I've personally known people of immediate Greek descent to
marry people of immediate Turkish descent here. Now it's by no means
common, but the fact that it can happen at all puts Oz way ahead of most
of the rest of the world.

> Bringing this relative to GZG, extrapolate this to any of the colonies
> and you've got plenty of ripe little brush wars that can flare up;
> ripe for scenarios and mini campaigns!

See the GZGpedia for some of the more loony OU fringe elements. e.g. the
"Sons of Kamehameha" who want Hawaii to be inducted into the OU. Or the
LEF who want Nouvelle Caledonie to become part of the FSE. Plenty of
scope for misunderstandings and no-win politics.

> Given teh OU propensity to 'fence sit' on most occasions trade with NI
> would probably be quite common; best price is always so attractive....

You got that right. Of course there's just as much trade with the
Caliphate, for the same reason.
--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers Next: Re: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers