Prev: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #608 Next: Re: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers

Re: The GZG Digest V1 #608

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:29:44 +1000
Subject: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #608

Sindre Cools Berg wrote:

> I'm just a little bit curious about this banzai jammers/SML thread
> (Could someone please enlighten me to what a banzai jammer is ?) ?

The term comes from current naval practice.
Basically, a frigate (small, 3000 tonne vessel) carries a "blip
enhancer" which when activated makes it look as big as a 90,000 tonne
aircraft carrier to a radar.

When the 100+ enemy missiles are incoming, the "banzai jammers" are
supposed to turn on their blip enhancers, so at least the majority of
the missiles will go for the "expendables" instead of the CV (carrier).

Not a popular duty.

Hence the application to a flotilla of small corvettes surrounding a BC
or above, so the salvo of 6 SMs all go for a single unlucky ship, which
is overkilled, leaving the value target untouched.

> Though in my little experience (I've only played FT for a few months)
> the real missile problem is the german missile destroyers played by a
> good german player. :)

Oh, you mean Waldberg-M's? Yes, I agree. The viewpoint that the NSL
would get severely handicapped by _reducing_ (not eliminating) the
effectiveness of banzai jammers don't consider that with Waldberg-Ms in
small numbers they get an advantage too.

> Anyway I've seen missiles do excellent damage due to clever
placements,
> but of course we have a house rule that says you can't place escort
> ships closer to the big one than the miniature allows...

I use SFB miniatures (Star Fleet Battles), usually using NSL SSDs from
teh fleetbook. My Andomedan Intruders are of necessity on large,
relatively high bases. The satellite ships are on small, low bases. I
can fit about half a dozen underneath an Intruder, and rest them on the
same base.

I don't have an FSE fleet myself. It's just that using NSL I've found
that the use of expendable Frigates is a perfect defence against large
numbers of SMLs, and against small numbers the ADAFs get them all.
Meanwhile my opponents are forced to use the same tactic, or my Waldberg
Ms get them. If the tactic was disallowed, or its effectiveness reduced,
then ADFs and PDs would be used instead. So the SMLs would be of high,
but not extreme effectiveness. Which I think is desireable.

> Hope this made some sense, as it's my first post to this list

Very much so, good to have you aboard.

--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #608 Next: Re: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers