Prev: GEVs (WIG) Next: Re: [OT] Copying Stuff

Re: Ortillery platforms

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:36:46 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Ortillery platforms

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Bobby Mock wrote:

> I can envision tenders moving orbital platforms into geosynchronous
> orbits above the battle fields. I would bet the ortillery would be
manned
> space stations with no propulsions units.

I would think that a self mobile ortillery platform that was dedicated
(and
thus had multiplt systems) would be much preferrable as a platform than
something that needed another craft's assistance. Were it a really small

craft, I could see that. Mainly I question the use of a tug to pull an
object into position in the middle of a battle, take out/damage either
the tug or the platform and you'd have made an effective mission kill on

the platform.

I've been thinking about the Ortillery platform/Bomb ketch idea. Why not

a DD or CG sized vessel that has mostly Ortillery, lots of armour, PDS
low thrust and perhaps a fighter group for Air support? It would be
fairly self escorting with a fighter group, but that would push the
cost up and the ortillery availabilty down? Granted this doesn't deviate

from what people have proposed already, its merely a futher support of
such concepts.

- Ryan Montieth Gill	  NRA / DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: GEVs (WIG) Next: Re: [OT] Copying Stuff