Prev: Re: Air Superiority Boardgame (OT) Next: Re: GEVs

RE: [OFFICIAL] MORE NEW SHIPS.... (Class Names)

From: "Steve Pugh" <steve@p...>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 14:15:36 -0000
Subject: RE: [OFFICIAL] MORE NEW SHIPS.... (Class Names)

> > FT-1102	UNSC Diplomatic Courier
>  Nobel class Courier. Named after Nobel Peace Prize winners.
>  See http://www.nobel.se/ for a list of Laureates.

How about Peace class rather than Nobel class? Nobel himself (the
inventor of TNT) is hardly appropriate, and it avoids confusion over
any other classes named after other winners of other Nobel prizes.

> > FT-1103	UNSC Battle Corvette
>  Tributary class (smaller rivers)
> > FT-1104	Patrol Cutters (Frigate-sized)
>  Parry/Savanna class

Is that meant to be prairie?

> > FT-1104A UNSC Patrol Cutter/Frigate type II
>  Swamp/Wetlands class (Everglades, Zapata, etc.)
> > FT-1105	Destroyers (DD) x 2 - Lake class
> > FT-1106	Light Cruiser (CL) - Mountain class
> > FT-1107	UNSC Escort Cruiser (CE)
>  Desert/Forest class (Simpson, Wayne, etc.)

Better stick to deserts, I'm sure there will be a lot more deserts
than forests left by 2180...

> > FT-1108	Heavy Cruiser (CH) - River class
> > FT-1109	UNSC Battlecruiser (BC)
>  Sea class (named after seas, oceans, etc.)
> > FT-1110	Battleship (BB) - Luna class
> > FT-1111	UNSC Battledreadnought (BDN)
>  Comet class

Including asteroids? In many cases the mythological names of the
asteroids will give much better sounding names than the astronomer
names of the comets. And many comets are rather short lived.

> > FT-1112	Superdreadnought (SDN) - Gaia class
> > FT-1112A Extended-Range SDN (SDN-X) - Sol class
> > FT-1113	UNSC Light Carrier (CVL)
>  Constellation class (Orion, Ursa Major, etc.)
> > FT-1114	UNSC Heavy Carrier (CVH)
>  Galaxy class (Milky Way, etc.)

UNS Milky Way? Oh dear... And after UNS Andromeda the names would be
less than inspiring.

Remember that the Gaia and Sol class and named after
Continents/Oceans and Planets, not Planets and Stars (see quote
below). So I'd name the CVLs after stars and the CVHs after
Constellations.

-------
UNSC Superdreadnought (SDN) - Gaia class
(Named for continents and other major features/areas on Earth - UNS
Pacifica, UNS Atlantis, UNS Africa etc)

FT-1112A	UNSC Extended-Range Superdreadnought (SDN-X) - Sol class
(Named for planets within Sol system - UNS Mars, UNS Terra, UNS Neptune
etc.)
-------

> > FT-1115	UNSC Deeprange Explorer
>  Author class (Niven, McCaffey...)

I'd keep the SF authors as the old Clarke class survey cruisers
(presumably built before the UNSC had it's shipbuilding programme up
and running). To keep the theme going these could be winners of the
Nobel prize for literature.

> > FT-1116	UNSC Fleet Replenishment Tender
>   Atlantian class (ocean floor features)

Winners of the Nobel prize for economics?

		Steve

--
Steve Pugh <steve@pugh.net>
The Society of Fantasy and Science Fiction Wargamers

Prev: Re: Air Superiority Boardgame (OT) Next: Re: GEVs