Prev: Re: [ds2 ft2] weapon power was Re: GEV and Grav Vehicles Next: Re: GEVs

Re: Stealth and Countermeasures...

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 14:57:42 -0500
Subject: Re: Stealth and Countermeasures...

Alan E and Carmel J Brain wrote:

> > Let's shoot a Nimitz with 20 too while where at it.  A modern BB
would
> > have a chance survival.  Would the Nimitz???
>
> Better than you think: I forget the name of the US Carrier that had a
> Really Bad Day in the gulf of Tonkin in the 60's. An A-6B landed
badly,
> amidst an alpha strike fully fuelled and armed. Over 20 tonnes of
> ordnance went off within a minute, all round the ship's stern.
> Equivalent of about 60 Otomats, all in the same area of the ship. Lots
> and lots of holes in the 12" of armour that was the flight deck over
the
> reactor.

Forestal I believe.  Scary thing.  That was what finally brought good
DC about.  (I don't think I will ever forget the chief that started
hosing down some of the munitions only to have it blow up in his face.
They narrative said there was nothing ever found of him.)

> Funnily enough though, even a single sea skimmer might have sunk her.
> single warhead entering the side and detonating the contents of the
> flight deck might have been more damaging.

I'm guessing you meant hanger bay?

Roger

Prev: Re: [ds2 ft2] weapon power was Re: GEV and Grav Vehicles Next: Re: GEVs