Prev: [FT] Ortillery Next: Re: [FT] Fleet Book Volume II

RE: Arty

From: "Scott Uecker" <rttakezo@k...>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 19:23:36 +0900
Subject: RE: Arty

> > To reiterate, now with all the words in place <g>: I don't know of
any
> > wheeled *SP* howitzers larger than 155mm, but there are numerous
155mm
> > wheeled SP howitzer types.
>
> Old obsolete US 203mm, still used by some despite the 1940s vintage.
> Currently-in-service Russian 180mm

Not sure what you mean by obsolete.  The US Marines used them during the
Gulf.  They were and still would be more accurate than any other
artillery
piece we had/have (including the M198).  Good piece of gear.  The only
reasons we got rid of them was the cost of maintaining SP's and their
sheer
weight made them difficult to embark/deploy.

> 155mm is so popular, like the comparable 152mm Naval types, as it's
the
> largest shell that can be handled manually without cranes etc (by 2
> people and a cradle.....<SNIP>

or 1 Marine by hand....

That's how we do it...

Cheers,
Scott
Captain USMC

Prev: [FT] Ortillery Next: Re: [FT] Fleet Book Volume II