Prev: Re: GEVs/Grav Next: Re: GEV/Grav

Re: GEV/Grav

From: agoodall@i... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 02:56:57 GMT
Subject: Re: GEV/Grav

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:02:15 -0500 (EST), Roger Books
<books@mail.state.fl.us>
wrote:

>Active skirts that follow the terrain.  Mollecular monofilimant that
drags
>the ground.

Well, that's better than what Drake did, which is ignore the problem!
*S* You
still have problems, as someone else mentioned, of the lift vector
partly
sending you back down the hill, even if you do manage to make the skirt
so it
could contour properly to a slope.

>Small, short duration, high output null-G packs.  They take ten minutes
>to charge and can lift the hovercraft for about a minute.

Hmmm... hybrid GEV/anti grav? I haven't seen someone mention anything
like
this...

>Come on, you're accepting anti-gravity but won't accept that we can
figure
>out how to make a hovercraft go up a hill?

Well, the problem is that with anti-grav you can always do some
pseudo-science
hand waving. With a hovercraft there are real problems that hand waving
won't
solve (such as the lift vector up hill problem, and the hockey puck
problem).

And I don't "accept" anti-grav... not at least until a unified field
theory
exists and suggests it's possible. *S*

But, that doesn't stop me playing with them and having a good time on
the
wargame table. Believe it or not, I really CAN willingly suspend my
disbelief!
*S*

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/