Prev: RE: [FT] Fleet Book Volume II Next: RE: [FT] Fleet Book Volume II

Re: Combat in 2180

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 10:18:24 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Combat in 2180

On  2-Dec-99 at 10:04, Michael Brown (mwbrown@veriomail.com) wrote:
> Questions, questions, questions...  Just how much HEAVY industry does
> startup  (10-50 years) colony have?  Will the plans for 100+ year old
> (2080?) equipment  be available?  How do you get the steel in the
sizes
> needed to make artillery?   Or is artillery made from Plastic?

I would guess this mostly depends on cost of transport.

How much does it cost to bring a bulldozer from offplanet?  If

numDozers*(purchaseCost + transportCost) >
numDozers*BuildCost+factoryCost

They should have the manufacturing capability to build a
tracklayer, be it dozer or tank.  As for the barrels, I
can't see casting a reasonable barrel being a big deal,
especially if you have any local wet-navy shipping production.

Roger

Prev: RE: [FT] Fleet Book Volume II Next: RE: [FT] Fleet Book Volume II