Prev: Re: GEVs/Grav Next: Greetings.. Tucson Az

Laser recoil (was Re: GEVs/Grav/Arty)

From: "Steve Pugh" <steve@p...>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 10:34:30 -0000
Subject: Laser recoil (was Re: GEVs/Grav/Arty)

> > ** What recoil do you see from a HEL?
>
> Photons have momentum. They don't have mass, but they do have
> momentum, calculated as planck's constant / wavelength (I think
> that's right, ooo my memory is bad today, I think there might be some
> 2*Pi factors in there).
>
> A laser shoots out a lot of photons. Conservation of momentum has to
> apply. The laser must therefore recoil.

Okay, memory is slowing coming back. As stated above the momentum (p)
of a photon is given by the Planck constant (h) divided by the
wavelength (l). The energy (E) of a photon is given by the Planck
constant multiplied by the frequency (f). And wavelength multiplied
by frequency gives the speed of light (c)

p = h/l
E = h * f
c = l * f

So, p = E/c

For a kinetic energy projectile,
p = mass (m) * velocity (v)
E = 0.5 * m * v^2

So, p = 2 * E/v
(For relativistic particles, the 2 decreases to 1 as v approaches c).

So for a laser 'pulse' with the same energy as a KE projectile the
momentum will be a lot lower. Hence, the recoil will be a lot lower.

	Steve

--
The Ground Zero Games Meta-FAQ is available at
http://steve.pugh.net/grunt/meta-faq.txt

Steve Pugh   <steve@pugh.net>	<http://steve.pugh.net/>

Prev: Re: GEVs/Grav Next: Greetings.. Tucson Az