Prev: Re: Just what will we see on the GZGVerse battlefield? Next: RE: Combat in 2180

RE: GEVs/Grav

From: "Tim Jones" <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 08:43:21 -0000
Subject: RE: GEVs/Grav

>But, as mentioned elsewhere, you have to have lift, not just
>ground effect, in order to get it up a slope.

This reminds me of the famous Dalek cartoon,
dalek at the bottom of a flight of stairs saying
'Thats the end of world domination'

In the Slammers books the GEV's operate on rough
terrain but this may be wishful thinking. IIRC on
full blow the tanks can lift a couple of feet
and they often ground the skirts during radical
moves.

In 'The Warrior' Slick attacks from a
hill top fire base and the tank gets driven into
several gullies but still keeps going, though I
think the driver is constrained by the terrain
in the story. The thought of a 150 tonne hockey
puck running down a 1:6 slope doesn't sound
that controllable even with fusion powered fans.

In mountains you'd be pretty much stuck to the roads
and ineffective as in Afghanistan.

-= tim jones =-

Prev: Re: Just what will we see on the GZGVerse battlefield? Next: RE: Combat in 2180