Prev: RE: GEVs/Grav Next: [sg2 ds2] Re: OrBat SG2

Re: Just what will we see on the GZGVerse battlefield?

From: Magnus Alexandersson <m96maal@m...>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 14:00:10 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: Just what will we see on the GZGVerse battlefield?

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Michael Brown wrote:

> After slogging through the SG/DS stuff, I think we need to set some
perspective
> on just what will confront the lads once they are on the ground.
Think about
> what systems will be available on a colony 30-50 years old.  Will they
have any
> heavy industry?  How much will be devoted to armaments?  Does the
colony have
> the raw materials/means of production to make anything more than small
arms?

> What I see is only the regulars will have anything approaching armor
and
> artillery.  The numbers are limited by shipping.  Battles in the Inner
Sphere
> or on Earth would see the full gamut of weapons systems, but colonies
/
> independents would have the last war's equipment (Surplus/hand me
downs)
> instead of "Low tech".  It is just not cost effective in terms of
shipping or
> production. When a colony can afford (is allowed?) to arm, they will
probably
> want to get the most bang for the buck.
>
> My vision is full combined arms teams of regulars against well
motivated or
> numerous infantry (militia), or small task forces of regulars fighting
over key
> objectives (spaceport, mines, alien artifacts...).

Peter F Hamilton's "Reality Disfunction" describes the settling process
very nicely, dropships with supplies was converted after alnding to a
small town, who used the onboard power generator for 20 or so years
until
they had built a reactor of their own...

Well, my 2 öre.

///Magnus

Prev: RE: GEVs/Grav Next: [sg2 ds2] Re: OrBat SG2