Prev: RE: Military Colony? Next: Re: Stealth & Names

Re: GEV and Grav Vehicles

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 06:44:29 -0500
Subject: Re: GEV and Grav Vehicles

Allan Goodall wrote:
> That's also assuming you're using a mass driver with magnets. You can
also
> build a mass driver with two rails, a magnetic field, and a plasma
flow. Part
> of the projectile would be eaten up by producing the plasma bridge.
The result
> is even less recoil. I'm not sure this is feasible in a tank based
mass
> driver, though...

	Ick.  That's a railgun, and you don't want that for a weapon.
	Damn rails erode away and have to be replaced after about a
	dozen shots.  You are striking an arc between the projectile
	and the rails.

	Coilguns are much nicer, if harder to make.

	But if we are postulating antigrav technology, why
	not use that to accelerate our projectiles?

	Your comments about momentum are right on, though.

Prev: RE: Military Colony? Next: Re: Stealth & Names