Prev: Re: GEV and Grav Vehicles Next: Re: Star keeper/assigner

Re: A good altitude for Ortillery? Math and astrophysics guys help out

From: RWHofrich@a...
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 18:53:50 EST
Subject: Re: A good altitude for Ortillery? Math and astrophysics guys help out

In a message dated 11/30/99 4:30:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca writes:

> Given:
>  1) Geosynch is roughly 22,000 km (if I'm not way off base)
>  2) Given geosynch is stationary wrt a point on the earth
>  3) Given a lower orbit will be (of necessity) faster? I think
>  4) Given the lower the orbit, the faster the orbit - so the further
>  off geosynch, the less time you'll be able to see a given point on
the
>  earth before going out of arc

Item number 4 assumes that the vessel is in stable orbit--in other
words, not
using its propulsion system (whatever it may be) to stay up.  With the
systems available in the FT universe (the GZG-verse?), that is not
really a
valid assumption--no one seems to worry about reaction mass, so running
your
thrusters continuously over a few hours isn't a problem.

Rob

Prev: Re: GEV and Grav Vehicles Next: Re: Star keeper/assigner