Prev: Re: [SG2] DESPERATE: Seeking 20mm Miniatures from UK Next: RE: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!]

Re: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!]

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:56:13 -0500
Subject: Re: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!]

> This was Pyotr Ufimstev, cheif scientist at the Moscow Institute of
> Radio
> Engineering. The paper was very obtuse and hard to understand. Its not
>
> like the technology was proposed to the polit bureau or anything. He
> wrote a paper and noone understood it. The concepts the came up with
> in
> the paper were the calculations used to compute radar cross sections.
> Not
> the whole process. It was the Skunk Works crew that did the hard work
> and
> built the damn things.

Not true.  The Soviet military did understand it but rejected it because
it could be countered too easily.

> Keep in mind this is escorted within the area by EW aircraft. Not
> escorted in the same formation. Stealth is no more a failure than a
> ghillie suit that gets seen by a countersniper when the guy in the
> suit
> crosses a road.

The stealth aircraft were not supposed to need escorts.  Against Serbia
they need only area EW escorts because the Serbs didn't have the new
Flanker varient.  If they did, then the stealth aircraft would have
needed fighter escorts as well.  This is my point.

IAS