Prev: Re: Confederate Flags Next: Re: Confederate Flags

Re: Now getting OT.... (was:Re: New Confederate States)

From: agoodall@i... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 02:34:52 GMT
Subject: Re: Now getting OT.... (was:Re: New Confederate States)

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 23:12:36 +0000, Ground Zero Games
<jon@gzero.dungeon.com>
wrote:

>Mmmmm.  A rather sore point for us English, as even in our own country
it
>seems to be politically incorrect to be proud of being English (as
opposed
>to British). Fine for Scots, Welsh etc. to fly their own flags, but the
>Cross of St. George (red cross on white field, the English national
flag),
>and to some extent the Union flag itself, is now sadly synonymous with
>football hooligans and extreme right-wing thugs....  :-/

That is REALLY too bad. As a Scot (and son of a Scots Nationalist) I
actually
have no problem with the English being proud of being English. They
should!
And the Scots should be proud of being Scots, and the the same for the
Welsh
and the Northern Irish. And they should all be proud of being British.
It's
sad when a national symbol is co-opted...

>BTW, though everyone (Brits included) generally calls it the Union
Jack,
>AFAIK that is technically the name for it when flown as a naval ensign
(ie:
>on the jackstaff of a ship). In non-marine use it is correctly just the
>Union flag.

I believe you're right, although don't quote me on it! *S*

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/

Prev: Re: Confederate Flags Next: Re: Confederate Flags