Prev: OT: Independence War Next: Re: OT: Independence War

Re: OT: Independence War

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 07:44:28 -0500
Subject: Re: OT: Independence War

"Mark A. Siefert" wrote:
>	  Well, I've done something I haven't done in a long time:  I've
sat up
> the entire night playing a computer game.  That game is Independence
> War: Deluxe Edition.	This is by far the most "realistic" space combat
> simulator I have every had the pleasure of playing.  I only just got
the
> game this afternoon, and I'm still working out all the game's nuances
> (control the multiple stations at once can be a little confusing), but
> so far I am REALLY impressed.

	This game is totally cool!  The realism is solid enough to
	walk on, the storyline is compelling, the puzzles are
	facinating!

	The games says "starship in a box", and they ain't kidding.
	You really *feel* like you are piloting a huge starship.

	The frosting on the cake is the scripting.
	Did you realize that the actual game is just a script
	engine, and all the scenarios are merely scripts?
	At the official web site you can download a package
	that allows you to make your own scripts
	(although this is not for the faint of heart)
	You can also change the appearance of the ships
	if you have something that can model Lightwave
	.dfx files.
http://www.independencewar.com/

	(What attracted me was that you can also
	edit the 3-D rotating starmap)

	There are a lot of fan sites that actually
	have new scenarios and new ship images.
http://www.independencewar.com/fansites.htm
	They also have hints on play and
	combat tactics.

	As a matter of fact, a group of people at
	the gaming bbs
http://www.infogrames.net/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
	are in the process of making new scenarios
	based on Babylon 5.
http://www.jyu.fi/~juhkuus/I-War/buda5.htm
	They call it "Buda 5" to avoid copyright issues.

	There is also a cheat-sheet book available
	from amazon.com if you get stuck on certain
	missions.

	Feel free to email me for hints and tips!

Prev: OT: Independence War Next: Re: OT: Independence War