Prev: Another T-shirt Idea Next: Re: Gen Con - a Canadian thought

Gen Con - a Canadian thought

From: Thomas Barclay of the Clan Barclay <kaladorn@h...>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 02:49:52 -0500
Subject: Gen Con - a Canadian thought

My last GenCon was 87. At that time, I stayed at the Hyatt Regency. I
remember thinking 1) overpriced. 2) overpriced. and 3) the food sucked
and was overpriced. The Con itself had a variety of events from the
sublime (BT Fasa vs. Distributors - with actual mini destruction!, and a
great RPGA event I played) to the ridiculous (a bring your own PC AD&D
event... cringe). I got lots of good loot, though I still have a bone to
pick with an artist who accepted money then never delivered. I saw an
entire gym floor used for a micro-armour Fall of West Germany scenario -
possibly the biggest game I've ever seen.

But the Hyatt was pricey, and the food there and at the Convention
Centre was lame. The neighborhood was... unremarkably urban. Finding a
nearby Wendy's turned the event into a tolerable one foodwise. But I
don't think Milwaukee per se contributed anything to the experience.

Now that was, I admit, years ago. i'm sure the facilities have changed.
Minis have got shafted I understand :(	And now i'd probably go to a few
different places - a brewery tour sounds like fun, as does a
before-the-con party with listers.

The one thing I can say, by moving it to Indianna, they move it from a
driveable option to a plane ticket for most of us Canadians - least for
me from Ottawa. It was already a trip to Milwaukee. And my last few
flights to the States have been no joy - even flying to other continents
was preferable to that experience. And making it a plane trip cuts down
the amount of gaming junk you can portage. (Thus why I'm driving to
Lancaster in something big). So I don't know about any of the other
Canucks, but this change is likely to Gaurantee I don't make another
trip to Gencon after 2003. I'll probably make an attempt to get to one
more just for the opportunity to meet a few more list members before
they move it, but after its moved, I probably won't make it again. No
doubt WOTC isn't too worried about the extra distance for some of us
Canucks, but I suspect it will lose a few visitors on that account.

If I have to choose 1 con to attend a year that requires a pilgrimage, I
hate to say it but GZG ECC wins hands down (till we can get a Cold
Thrust or something up here!). In Lancaster, I get to meet folk of like
mind, and engage in playing games I like with people who have little in
common with some of the more capital-L lame members of our gaming
community - the munckins and the don't-get-out-enough crowd. The GZG
gamers tend to be a tad more mature, and that makes for more
entertaining scenarios and better social experiences at the Con making
the trip worthwhile.

And besides, I still have to *thank* Jon Davis for the vibroknife in the
ribs that his corporate thugs applied to my Colonial Marines at GZG ECC
#1. I haven't forgotten you Jon... you're on the list.... :)

Just my 0.02.

Tom B.

Prev: Another T-shirt Idea Next: Re: Gen Con - a Canadian thought