Prev: RE: Homeworld Computer Game Next: SGII: Casevac?

Re: Thoughts for NAC vs NSL matches! Aka New tech/Modified FB ships

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 19:25:44 +0100
Subject: Re: Thoughts for NAC vs NSL matches! Aka New tech/Modified FB ships

Charles N. Choukalos wrote:

> Given my current
> NSL/NAC/Kravak fleets (pretty big) with some FSE thrown in that
> usually when my group plays..... we usually avoid the NAC fleet
> because... well quite frankly they just don't have the firepower to
> take down the bigger NSL ships and the kravak usually maul them
badly.

Cinematic or Vector? I've found the NAC ships (except the Vandenburgs)
to be OK against low-thrust enemies in Cinematic where you can usually
stay out of the worst killing zones of the thrust-2 ships, but rather
weak in Vector. Vandenburgs just die horribly no matter which movement
rules we use.

> They also seem to lack the pds defenses to deal with the small FSE
> fleet that I throw at them (acutally the SDN + 2*CA usually causes
> lots o'havoc with SML's )

Again it depends on the movement system used. NAC ships are fast enough
not to be hit by *every* salvo missile in Cinematic, but OTOH the
Furious-class CE isn't too good - it can either use its main armament
OR stay with the heavies, but usually not both at once :-/ In Vector
it's the other way around; they have problems dodging but the Furious
is a reasonably effective combat unit.

[New weapons - haven't finished looking at Beth's HBWs, waiting for
some details to be clarified, but since she's away from her computer
that may take a while :-/ ]

> Gatling Beam*  Experimental?!  We didn't really play with this one
> too much treat as a subpak but damage is beam damage, and
> obviously isn't expended after firing.  3 Arcs of fire, Cost 5, mass
1

Looks OK, as long as you don't give it PDS capabilities of any kind.

> AutoFire Beam's

Looks reasonable too. Might be slightly too cheap, but I don't think
I'd go
above a cost of 5x AF weapon Mass for it.

> Vandenberg Close Assult Cruiser
> Drop Drives to MD 4 and remove both class-2 beams.  Add
> 3*Class-2 AF beams (rs,ls,fh).  Cost +8 mass the same

-16 [8 engine Mass] - 12 [4 weapon Mass] + 54 [12 AF Mass] = +26
points. If you had used standard weapons (cost 3*Mass) to replace the
engines (like the Vandenburg/T), you'd've landed at +8 points.

>      * An interesting Ship... Get close and cause some havoc, but the

> class-3 gives it some plinking power when getting to range

Powerful against NSL and most light units, but a bit pricey. Don't
fight ESU
SDs with this one, though <g>

> Avalon Hack Assult Ship
> Remove all 3 class-3 beams.

What stats do you use for the unmodified Avalon class?

> Add HBS system(Cap-4,3*projector(2*f,a))

A rear-facing projector? OK, well... useful for discouraging pursuit I
suppose, but every turn you fire the rear projector is a turn you
aren't
maneuvering at all (in Cinematic, at least) <shrug>

> We use Cinematic and some of the guys were moping about the
> high mass penalty and short range of the HBS system.
> They wanted to allow a multiple arc firing projector.  We had
> multi-arch HBS projector.  Mass 2 , 1 arc, + 1 mass/extra arc to 3
> arcs max.  Cost 3*mass.

Beth's HBS has the same relative Mass penalty per extra arc as the C3
battery if it uses a cap-2 capacitor, and a lower relative arc penalty
than
the C3 batteries for all larger capacitors. If they don't mope about
how big
multi-arc C3 batteries are, they have no reason to mope about the cap-2
HBS and should be delighted about the big-capacitor HBSs.

Still haven't finished the analysis, but it looks as if the Beth HBS
should
cost around 4-5xMass for all components.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: RE: Homeworld Computer Game Next: SGII: Casevac?