Prev: re: [FT]: Colony, Search & Rescue Ships Next: T shirt ideas - some are surely better than others....

Re: Fleet Engagements (was: Battle of Neu Bremen)

From: "Unless your people get off their encounter-suited butts and do something, I've got nothing to lose!" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:09:13 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Fleet Engagements (was: Battle of Neu Bremen)

>> > Salvo Missiles are wonderful anti-pursuit weapons.
>> ***
>>
>> ***
>> Yes they are. Are there any FSE ships with a salvo missle launcher
aimed
>> backwards like the modern day russian DD (Kashin is it, I forget)
with its
>> weapons fit configured for "parting" shots?
>> ***
>>
>> Bozhe'! If there were, I'd be demanding they'd not be able to thrust
and
>> fire
>> that way. Not that they can't walk away from any fleet *I've* got!
>
>You don't have to fire aft for a parting shots.  Most of my designs
>have the SM's configure to fire AP-FP-F, not that it matters for
>chases.  The last time I used it this way I dropped it directly on
>my CA, that annoying destroyer trying to keep in my blind spot landed
>right on it and went boom. :)	They don't follow that close any more.

Browsing this thread just gave me the idea of a class variant which
would
have, say, one SMR facing towards the rear (would need to put on a
moderately
large or larger ship for space/Mass considerations). Allow the fleets to
engage (most battles I've fought - most, not all - have been fleets
passing
at/into/through each other), then as you pass through the other fleet,
leave
a parting package for them to deal with until you (and they) can get
turned
around.

Yeah, it does mean that amount of Mass is not available for the initial
engagement. But I like the idea of the surprise...  :-}

Mk
-
  /@		       .  .	      If you insist on reaching for a
  <|\			  .  )	      star, be prepared to take a long,
   |		     /\ 	      hard fall.
   |		    //
   /		 o //*		      Indy - climber, astronomer,
adventurer
  /		<%- /|\ 	      supreme. Have rope, will travel.

Prev: re: [FT]: Colony, Search & Rescue Ships Next: T shirt ideas - some are surely better than others....