Prev: Re: Stripping paint ... Next: Re: Fleet Engagements (was: Battle of Neu Bremen)

Re: [SG/DS] Fighter manoeuvres

From: Michael T Miserendino <MTMiserendino@l...>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 8:25:00 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG/DS] Fighter manoeuvres

>>> owner-gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU at internet 11/18/99 03:09AM >>>
>Adrian wrote:
>> There's another manoever that the super-manoeverable aircraft
(experimental US/European and the Russian SU-27/30/33/35/etc series)
demonstrate - but I don't know what the name is.  It's got to do with
pointing the nose of the aircraft in a different direction than the
direction of flight, without changing the actual flight vector.  So,
the aircraft can point it's nose, say, 15 deg vertically and 5 deg to
the port, to get a better firing position for missiles or guns, but not
change the actual direction travelled.

> I believe it's called "Super Cobra", but I could well be wrong.

I think that refers to the display maneuver where the aircraft uses only
its
thrust to hover above ground with its fuselage aligned vertically.  Very

impressive for a non-VTOL aircraft.

Mike

Andrew Martin
Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Online @ 33,600 Baud!
-><-

Michael Miserendino
Senior Software Engineer
Lincoln Re
mtmiserendino@lnc.com

Prev: Re: Stripping paint ... Next: Re: Fleet Engagements (was: Battle of Neu Bremen)