Prev: RE: [OT] P-O-P/Space Dread Next: Re: Battle of Neu Bremen

Re: Romans

From: Steven M Goode <gromit+@C...>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 10:07:03 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Romans

Excerpts from mail: 16-Nov-99 Romans by DracSpy@aol.com
> Does anyone have any sigestions on how to put Roman (and other armies
of
> about the same time) into Stargrunt?

Why?

I mean, I like SGII; but it's designed for a very different kind of
warfare than the Romans engaged in.
SGII has
-a much smaller # of troops
-"instantaneous command" due to radios etc.
-squads operating independantly rather than thousands of men in a
battleline
-effective long-range weapons
-single ranks for close combat
-really deadly close combat that's over very quickly
-no real cavalry

...and so forth.  Briefly, the major differences are scale, C2, and fire
vs. close combat.

I think you're better off using a set of rules designed for the period.
I like DBA (De Bellis Antiquitatis), produced by WRG, but there are
plenty of other options (Armati, Archon, DBM, WRG 7th, etc.)

Prev: RE: [OT] P-O-P/Space Dread Next: Re: Battle of Neu Bremen