Prev: RE: DS - BUGS!!! Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] New UNSC ships out!!

Re: [FT] Fire and Forget MT missiles (was MT missile control...)

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 08:42:23 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Fire and Forget MT missiles (was MT missile control...)

G'day Ryan,

More *sigh* material for you from Derek ;)

Cheers

Beth

>*sigh* I think folks are over complicating MT missiles. These are big
>assed cruise missiles. If they loose target lock on a previous target,
>they will look for a new target and IFF it, if its hostile, then it
will
>attack. Presumeably something the size of a fighter can be fitted with
>enough of an AI to realize the best target to nail. If you want to,
write
>a "routine" on target priorities. Keep it simple guys. If you
>overcomplicate it, they game will suffer.

Ryan

Your right, the aim is to keep it simple. Jon has provided us with a
excellent set of wargame rules that are simple and very flexible, any
add-on house rules shouldn't detract from the elegance of the 'core'
model.
After all when we play a game we what to be the 'Fleet Admiral' not the
'sensor/weapons tech'

But before I go further I would like to point out that as soon as anyone
starts using sensor rules (Full Thrust/More Thrust or your own house
rules)
a level of complexity is automatically added.  Without sensor rules life
is
laid bare and you see everything, and what you see you can shoot. With
sensors you know something is out there, but you can't shoot it until
you
get to see it.

And this was the environment I had in mind when posted (via Beth) my
thoughts on Fire and Forget MT missiles hoping for reaction.

Regarding your "routine" on target priorities idea, what I had in mind
for
a fire and forget MT missile;

At time of launch designate target, if the target is within the missiles
sensor range (insert your range here) missile moves towards the target
and
attacks when in range as normal. If the target is beyond the missile
sensor
range then plot course to where you anticipate where the target will be,
once there the missile turns on it's sensor and looks for the designated
target. If the target is now within the missile sensor range the missile
will move toward the target and attack when in range, if the designated
target is not in sensor range then go to back up and attack the nearest
target.

I don't think this is too hard to manage in a game? comments?

Derek	(missile fiend) ;-)

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: RE: DS - BUGS!!! Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] New UNSC ships out!!