Prev: Re: [FT AAR] New Israel/Islamic Federation Next: RE: Fighters.... the furball continues...

Re: LRDFC and PDS modes (was: Re: anti fighter missiles)

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 09:06:03 -0500
Subject: Re: LRDFC and PDS modes (was: Re: anti fighter missiles)

>>Class 1 batts can. Each size battery larger than class 1 requires a
normal
>>firecon in addition to the LRDFC to be used in this mode (class 2
batts
>>require LRDFC + 1 firecon, class 3 require LRDFC + 2 firecons.

>How about "each individual weapon requires 1 firecon"?  I can't see
> why a Beam3 would require 2 FC.

Seems reasonable.

> ie PTorps?  Needles?	I can see needles, but not torps.

Why not? Set them on proximity detonation and lauch them into the midst
of a
fighter group. COnsider the PDS effect a blast effect.

>>Scenario specific PDS reprogramming. Assume PDS can be set 3
>>different ways between scenarios.

> A good idea but a) wouldn't you usually know what types of threat
> you'll usually face? b) wouldn't the PDS programming automatically
> take threat type into account?  Remember, this is a couple hundred
> years in the future, even if we're mapping it from a WW2 paradigm.

a) not necessarily, FSE isn't always missiles, and NAC isn't always
fighters. Heck, even NSL has some missiles. b) then assume its a
moderalte
hardware swap. Rapid firecontrols for missiles, precision targeting for
fighters, all purpose electronics for multirole. Takes a couple hours to
set
up and calibrate effectively.

As usual, though, this whole system may be a splitting of hairs beneath
FT
granulariy.

Prev: Re: [FT AAR] New Israel/Islamic Federation Next: RE: Fighters.... the furball continues...