Prev: Re: [FT] SMR's Next: [FT] emines/heavy beams (was SMR's / Wave guns...)

[FT] Re: Wave Guns, Nova Cannons, & Mines

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 10:05:58 +1000
Subject: [FT] Re: Wave Guns, Nova Cannons, & Mines

G'day Chuck,

>So I would say all you have above but:
>
>.  When firing wave gun, can fire other weapons same turn.
>.  either double the template (2/3/4 to 4/6/8) or keep same template
but
>   double the damage (4dice instead).	Also allow rerolls on 6.
>
>Just some thoughts in making them more useful.  I believe in FB they
are
>mass 10, cost 30.  I feel that this would make them "effective" again,
>but not overly soo.

I agree, though I probably wouldn't have the rerolls.

>Nova Cannons...
>.  Drop shields
>.  No other weapons fire
>.  Centerline fire
>.  Template 3/6/9 ( I think this is old ) -> (goes to) 6/9/12
>   [ Wider Swath ]
>.  Damage (6d6,4d6,2d6) = same as always (But add rerolls on 6)
>.  No turn breaks anymore (aka all templates go down in 1 turn)
>.  Also keep the range in 18" brackets (18"/36"/48")
>.  do roll d6/turn charge to 6 pts to fire rule
>
>Anyway, what do you think of the
>revisions,  does it make them too powerful?

They sound pretty reasonable, though I've got a couple of
questions/comments for you. Are you using hits based on centrepoint or
just
contact (I'd opt for centrepoint here for consistency with other
weapons,
but that's just me..says she who then goes and gives mines below who
don't
;) )? I wouldn't have rerolls (mainly because p-torps and our local
house
rules for emines don't, but if you want them to be deadly then keeping
rerolls would give them that extra punch). The bit with putting all the
templates down on turn one, does that mean on turn 1 you have a template
of
6" upto 18", 9" upto 36" and 12" upto 48" or do you have a multi-ringed
template (6"=6D6,6-9"=4D6,9-12=2D6) that moves out to 18" on the first
turn, 36" on the second and 48" on the third? I think you mean the
former,
but its been a tough weekend and I'm not exactly thinking straight,
sorry
for being slow.

>Also Beth, you said you had worked out the EFSB Beam battery's.  What
did
>you finally cost/mass them and their capacitors out to be?

Please see the post "[FT] emines/heavy beams (was SMR's / Wave guns...)"

>Also I did a mine scenerio and had an NSL force attack a base station
>through a mine field... The damage they did was pretty lame.

We've found that too.

> I was wondering if anyone had done some point balancing with sfb style

>captor mines and sml based mines... and PDS mine.

These all sound pretty good. Some more fuel for thought might be the
following (taken from the weapons locker of one of my alien races),
though
you'd want to drop the launch/3 turn life of them in long term
minefields
(where they're pre-laid and just sit until something set them off):

There are two forms. The first are single large mines. These are placed
during the missile fire phase (i.e. before ship movement), to do this
one
mine per launcher is fired out up to 24" and then they sit at that
position
for 3 turns. Anything which gets within 3" during that period causes the
mine to go off	they have a 3" blast radius. Any ship touching that
blast
takes 1D6 damage and any ship with more than half of its hull within the
blast takes 2D6 damage. If the mines are not activated by the completion
of
the third turn then they are simply removed.
	The second form is a net of 3 small mines in a triangle
formation, with
each side of the triangle being 2" long. You also place these during the
missile fire phase. They have the same 3-turn life expectancy as the
single
large mines, but they only have launch range of 18". As with the large
mines anything which comes within 3" of one of the 3 smaller mines sets
that mine off and they inflict 1 D6 damage (regardless of how much of
the
ship ends up within the 3" blast radius). However, the explosion also
sets
off the other 2 mines in the group and anything within their blasts also
take 1D6 damage - so if a ship is touched by more than one blast it
takes
damage from each blast.
	One functioning fire control is needed during mine launch
regardless of
the number of mines or types being launched.
	The launcher and loads (2 mines per load) are bought separately.
The
launcher costs 2 mass, 10 points, normal mine loads cost 1 mass, 6
points
and nets cost 2 mass, 8 points.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: [FT] SMR's Next: [FT] emines/heavy beams (was SMR's / Wave guns...)