Prev: Re: [FT] SMR's Next: Re: [FT] SMR's

RE: [FT] SMR's

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 07:44:26 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] SMR's

[snip]

> > Penetration Aid
> > Each missile in this rack carries spoofers, jammers, radar targets,
> > etc, to attract attention from PDS and help the "real" missiles get
> > through.  Acts as a Screen-1 for all missiles within 6".
>
> It'd be better to (explicitly) give them the same bonus as Heavy
> Fighters, since screens don't normally protect against PDS and C1
> batteries don't kill missiles on a roll of "4" anyway. Yes, I know the
> Heavy Fighter description calls this effect "level-1 screens", but it
> also spells out exactly what is meant.
>
> > Reduce the effective radius by 1" for each missile hit by PDS fire.
>
> It'd have to "attack" one specific ship in order to let PDS shoot at
it
> under the current rules. Also, I'd rather make it affect "all
*targets*
> within 6mu" than "all *missiles* within 6 mu", since any enemy ships
> further than 6 mu away from the PenAid salvo would automatically count
> it as a "miss" and ignore it.
[snip]

[Bri]
Not if it is using ADFC/PDS. ADFC/PDS can extend the range of PDS up to
12".
However, as you pointed out PDS only works against fighters/missiles
targeting it or a friendly ship for ADFC/PDS (unless the rules have
changed
[Jon?]). And I think that the idea was that salvo missiles outside of
the 6"
radius did not gain the bonus. And I agree that it should read "protects
Missile Salvos in rage as Heavy Fighters".

Someone suggested adding one missile to a pack to provide this benefit
with
a maximum number of hits of 5. This may make it too powerful for the
cost/mass. If this option is used, I would impose a cost penalty and
have it
read "The number of missiles that hit is reduced by one". This leaves
the
possibility that the only missile left is the jammer missile. But again,
like the idea of a separate salvo much better.

Another idea for Salvo Missiles is to have a "Control Salvo". The
Control
Salvo has no warhead, but has a small AI and sensor package. Same
cost/mass
as regular salvo. Each missile in the Control Salvo may control one
other
Salvo within a 12" radius. It allows the Salvos that are controlled to
pick
a target rather than the "closest ship". Trade-offs: trade 1 salvo to
allow
up to 6 other salvos to pick their target.

---
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft/

Prev: Re: [FT] SMR's Next: Re: [FT] SMR's