Prev: Re: [FT AAR] New Israel/Islamic Federation Next: Re: anti fighter missiles

Re: [FT] Who said Nova cannon's were unbalanced?

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 10:53:27 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Who said Nova cannon's were unbalanced?

G'day Oerjan,

>Well, a Mass 100 FB ship is roughly equivalent to a Mass 50-60 FT2 ship
>- which were quite common, and quite vulnerable to WGs and NCs, in FT2
>AFAIK :-/

I'll take your word for that (having only played FB), however I don't
think
those ships are that vulnerable anymore. Admittedly it may have
something
to do with the fact we play vector, core rules and strike the colours so
many weapons can do pretty devastating damage, so in comparison wave
guns
and such aren't that impressive anymore. And I disagree with Nik that
its
just because I roll ones (I do realise I have that problem and try to
compensate for that bias), but Michael (the corporation player) has been
using them for months and apparently found them so ineffectual he
switched
to p-torps instead.

>IOW making it almost impossible to miss with them, particularly in
>Vector movement :-( OK, single ships can dodge, but not a force relying
>on ADFCs or similar.

I disagree, at present there diameter is 2"/3"/4" and the ADFC has 6"
width
so unless the guy lines up right in front of you you'd be lucky to get
more
than a couple of ships (it fires down your front line so if your even a
little bit out your stuffed usually). Besides as stated on the fighter
thread that would be the downside of the ADFC's design choice.

>Obviously, since FB doesn't have any solid definition for "capital"
>ships :-/

Its not hard to say ship of size >90 is equivalent to a capital ship
Oerjan.

OK to rehash/clarify the issue I have two problems with the wave gun as
it
stands - relative strength and field of fire. So how's this for a
suggestion, keep the range of 36" (though Derek would probably up it to
48") double the diameter, but instead of saying every ship touched by
the
template say ever ship with their centre point within the area is hit
(you
use centrepoint for every other weapon it only makes sense given the
accepted scale vs size of ships for it to apply here too). Comments?
Flames? Shrugs of disinterest and a general "oh shut-up Beth"? ;)

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: [FT AAR] New Israel/Islamic Federation Next: Re: anti fighter missiles