Prev: Re: Underwater questions [ot] Next: Re: Comments on various designs - New Bavarians, Dean's reinforcements, Independ

Re: Underwater questions [ot]

From: Steven M Goode <gromit+@C...>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 00:39:53 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Underwater questions [ot]

Excerpts from mail: 3-Nov-99 Re: Underwater questions [ot] by
DracSpy@aol.com
> >  local CompUSA.  They used sub "carriers" with fighters aboard.  One
of
> >  the interesting concepts was their torpedoes, which were
hyperkinetic
> >  weapons fired down a "tube" of air created by vaporizing water with

That's a really cool idea.  I assume that the covering of the laser, the
walls of the tube, and the end of the torpedoes were all mirrored?  That
way, the beam would keep bouncing around and heating up the air.

Of course, this probably requires enormous amounts of power (enough
energy to vaporize a lot of water in a very short time) and it has other
problems (the amount of power you need depends on the temperature of the
water, a laser is probably not the best way to boil water, etc.) but
it's so damn *cool* :)