Prev: Re: Underwater questions [ot] Next: RE: [FT] OU designs - comments coming

Re: Underwater questions [ot]

From: Steven M Goode <gromit+@C...>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 20:15:23 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Underwater questions [ot]

Excerpts from mail: 3-Nov-99 Re: Underwater questions [ot] by Beth
Fulton@marine.csiro

> >What animals work well in both air and water?  Water and land, sure;
but
> >air and water?
>
> Well seabirds for one, comorants especially! And some fish don't do a
half
> bad job of gliding for short periods, though whales and mako's tend to
just
> go up and then plop impressively... ;)

Since I'm totally ignorant of the avian world, you'll have to excuse
this question: Do seabirds dive through the water?

Of course, they've got foldable wings, which is tricky to copy for
vehicles (for various reasons - the cube/squared law and the speeds at
which airplanes move, for example).  I'm not saying it's impossible -
and certainly there are some jets with limited wing-folding ability -
but it's tricky.

Prev: Re: Underwater questions [ot] Next: RE: [FT] OU designs - comments coming