Prev: star databases (was: RE: OT Query: Starship Troopers- MIA???) Next: Re:star databases (was: RE: OT Query: Starship Troopers- MIA???)

RE: New Figure Company? [CLEAN STAMP]

From: "Rick Rutherford" <Rick@e...>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 13:17:22 -0500
Subject: RE: New Figure Company? [CLEAN STAMP]

Tim Jones wrote:
> what's this [CLEAN STAMP] on the subject line is this some
> virus checker - just curious

To begin with, I'd like to apologize for the need for this explanation.

The mail server at esr.com (the company I work for) appends the
words, "[CLEAN STAMP]" to the subject line of every e-mail message
sent by that server. It is intended to advertise the fact that esr.com
uses the WorldSecure virus-checking server to scan both incoming and
outgoing e-mail messages for viruses. The mail server also appends
a notice which explains that,
" This email message and any attachments were scanned by the WorldSecure
Server that protects Electronic Systems and it's customers. No Viruses
were detected in this message."

As an information security professional, I am especially embarassed
by this advertisement, because:
1) Nothing protect people from all possible viruses, because nobody
knows what form these viruses will take in the future, and
2) Proclaiming that all the e-mail from esr.com will always be clean
of viruses is equivalent to hanging a big "CLUELESS" sign around the
collective necks of all the esr.com employees.

I am currently arguing with my managers about this, and I hope to
have the notice removed RSN (Real Soon Now), but for the time being
the notices will continue to appear.

My other e-mail account is my work (military) account, and I am
not allowed to use that for personal mailing-list traffic.
Mark Seidl: Please let me know if the "[CLEAN STAMP]" is more than
a simple annoyance -- I will unsubscribe from the list and find an
alternative way to participate.

--
Rick Rutherford
I apologize in advance for the junk appended to this message

======
11/02/99 13:28:02

[INFO] -- Virus Manager:
This email message and any attachments were scanned by the WorldSecure
Server that protects Electronic Systems and itÂ’s customers. No Viruses