Prev: Re: [OT] Religious Freedom (in the US) Next: [OT]Comments withdrawn...

RE: Underwater questions [ot]

From: "Tim Jones" <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 07:59:51 -0000
Subject: RE: Underwater questions [ot]

>1)  What is the maxium practical speed for under water transporation?

about 30 knots, this is what the fastest russian attack subs could get
up to with high yeild reactors

>2)  What does a person need to live and what should be in the
>under sea
>comunites?

air, water, food, a place to reproduce. Basically if you have energy
such
as fusion plnats you could manufacture or grow all you require, like the

biosphere projects that are running now.

>3)  Is there a detailed design system for Submarine design?

Basically the albacore project found that the best shape is a fat
cylinder.
If you mean xisting game system, I don't know of one.

>4)  Would a submarine fighter (like from Sea Quest or
>Archemdian Dynasty) be practical?

If you had small enough power plants, yes but likely to be more
dolphin shaped than aeroplane shaped.

>5)  What is the best shape for a lander desgined to move
>though the air and
>go into the water?

In air how is it propelled? If it has anti grav then a fat cylinder
it it has to fly then something like voyage to the bottom of the
seas flying sub which is based on a manta ray.

>6)  What would be the best simulater for underwater combat be?

Do you mean game system,  full thrust depth factor/aquazone variants
would be pretty good for underwater dog-fights.

>7)  Would "cralwers" be usable?

depends on depth and sea bed composition, but yes on the continental
shelf
where the sediment wasn't too deep.

>8)  What does it take to do under water mining?

Depends if you are extracting nodules or sinking shafts. Nodule miners
would be
large sleds or air lifts. Shafts would have to have cassions sunk over
the sea
bed and facilities for waste extraction.

>9)  What would be the normal shapes that buildings be based on?

Domes or spheres as they resist pressure the best

>10) What type of weapons would work (lasers are out, but what
>about Sonic
>weapons)?

I would think mostly guided weapons such as torpedoes are going to be
the most effective, these would be smaller and faster and have various
guidance systems. Projectile weapons would have hopeless ranges compared
guided weapons but could be used for close in fighting as well as
mechanical
arms or boring weapons.

depth charges, mines and hedgehogs as well.

Sound would be difficult to focus and enegry weapons would be dissipated
too easily.

-= tim jones =-

Prev: Re: [OT] Religious Freedom (in the US) Next: [OT]Comments withdrawn...