Prev: Computer PBeM and where it should be taken Next: Re: Deckplan page

Re: PBEM engine

From: "Charles N. Choukalos" <chuckc@b...>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 15:22:41 -0400
Subject: Re: PBEM engine

Colin,

Geesh.... Steeling my thunder huh?  Damn it!  That was my learn how to
program cool java programs idea.  And her I am sitting between a canned
project thinking of ways that I can solidify my new java programing
skills.  So far I'm still working on the interface and trying to figure
out certificates.

Basically I was thinking of the following setup.  A javaavplet running
on
a webpage that has a collection of files and has a digital signiture
associated with it.  People can then logon and and run administrative
functions, or upload orders or put them in manually or look at the
current game map and status reports in a graphical format.  I was also
thinking along the same lines too of using it as a testbed for AI
development so it could be a one player deal.  My thought was that
throught the use of digital signitures ( assuming people trust you and
check, yes accept I/O transaction with this program ... ;) ).  Then
players could upload orders and the main web site could update its
records and redisplay the changed conditions.  It can also alert players

to who is missing turn orders, ect...  I thought it would be a really
neat program.  Actually speaking of threat values and stuff... I was
playing around with an algorithm to calculate beam dice at range ( while

trying to account for different mounts and total beam die  in arc ) to
figure out how to shoot at.  But I think the shooting orders are a
little
awkward... after all, some of the really neat battles I've been in
players have split a lot of their fire power into a bunch of small ships

and rendered them inoperative by just getting 1 or 2 thresholds.

I'd love to take a look at it and give you a hand.  Drop me a line if
you
want any 'hacking' help.

Chuck

Prev: Computer PBeM and where it should be taken Next: Re: Deckplan page