Prev: Re: [FT] PBeM Next: RE: [FT] PBeM

Re: [FT] PBeM

From: Tony Francis <tony@g...>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:06:40 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] PBeM

colin.plummer@theplanet.net wrote:

>   What do people think of the following firing orders (that will fire
> non-expendable weapons)
>
> TARGET X, Y, Z
>
>   Fire at those ships in that order of preference.
>
> DEFEND X, Y
>
>   Fire on any ship that is in range and has fired on X or Y this turn.
> (this order makes no sense if I set the 'simultaneous fire' game
option)

No, you can still do it - any ship which has X or Y in its TARGET orders
(as above)
becomes a valid target (PSB - you've detected the lock-ons of the
enemies FireCons).

These make your target selection much easier - your target selection
algorithm just
has to select the first of X, Y or Z that it can fire at, only if none
are valid
targets do you need to find another target.

>   Default order for all non-expendable weapons is to fire at the
closest target
> in arc.

See my earlier posts about the problems this causes - everyone fires at
the same
target most of the time.

>   If the ship has more valid targets than it has firecontrols it will
use
> the order of preference, then target size, then random selection to
assign the
> FCS.

You could also insert 'previous target' into this list - stops ships
hopping between
targets and should mean that they at least try to finish off targets.

Tony

Prev: Re: [FT] PBeM Next: RE: [FT] PBeM