Prev: Re: Fighters - Multi Role, Recce, SWAC, ECM/EW [FT] [FB] Next: RE: Metal stuff - Soldering

Re: Starting from the ground up...

From: "Frongoid" <frongoid@t...>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 01:52:11 -0700
Subject: Re: Starting from the ground up...

----- Original Message -----
From: The GZG Digest <owner-gzg-digest@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To: <gzg-digest@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 1999 11:00 PM
Subject: The GZG Digest V1 #532

> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:57:18 -0700
> From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@aimnet.com>
> Subject: Re: Starting from the ground up...
>
> >Hi, I'll delurk for a bit to ask for some help.  I've been working
on
> >rewriting the class and size systems in Full Thrust/More Thrust to
> >allow more emphasis on smaller ships...
>
> I' d leave the MASS system as is, and just allow fractional MASS for
> fighter creation. This allows you to create individualistic small
craft
> without throwing the rest of the rules inot the hash.
>
> Schoon

This is a good idea, but it won't work too well in a role-playing
game, especially one where you have to go through the Traveller
character generation process when you need a new character =)

Truth to tell, though, is that most of the movement and weapons rules
stay the same.	Instead of batteries, they are individual weapons.
Instead of Cruisers, they are Escorts.	In most cases, only the names
of things will change...  the big changes are in crew dispositions
(including boarding actions, which I believe will work best in
miniature), fighter/small craft rules, missile rules, carrier rules
and the interface between the rpg engine and the tactical engine (Can
a skilled pilot achieve better turns?  Does a good engineer allow a
reroll for DC parties?)

It's these sort of things, the things that have to be added to make it
playable on a more "human" level that are giving me problems.

Oh well, it's late and my eyes are tired from redoing the Traveller
character generation tables... the work of a GM is never done.

Prev: Re: Fighters - Multi Role, Recce, SWAC, ECM/EW [FT] [FB] Next: RE: Metal stuff - Soldering