Prev: Re: IF Fleet Next: RE: Fighters - Multi Role, Recce, SWAC, ECM/EW [FT] [FB]

[FT] Dereks OU (was UN SDN stuff)

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:50:18 +1000
Subject: [FT] Dereks OU (was UN SDN stuff)

G'day guys,

Derek has been hammering away at this stuff for a while and thought it
was
about time it saw the light of day in general. He knows a few of you
other
guys have put some long hours into your OU stuff and isn't trying to get
up
your nose, its just that he thought the figs were cool and got inspired
;)

Cheers

Beth

>From: "Tom McCarthy" <tmcarth@fox.nstn.ca>
>Subject: Re: [FT] Sol SDN-X (3rd proposal)

>In general, I agree with Brian.  However, I would probably avoid >going
Class-4 batteries.  Leave that to the ESU; instead

Oops I'm in trouble now, my OU 'Oceania' Dreadnought has 4 class 4-beam
batteries.

For those interested

Oceania class DREADNOUGHT.

TMF: 160
NPV: 548

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:

Classification: Dreadnought
Displacement:	16000 Tonnes
		[MASS Factor 160]
Hull Type:		Average
			[Hull Integrity 48]
Crew:			140 Personal
			[Crew Factor 7]
Armament:		4 Class 4 batteries (2 arcs each, facing
forward)
			4 MT missiles.
Defences:		4 Point defence systems
			Level 1 screen
Sensor suite:	Standard sensors
			2 Fire-control systems
			1 Area Defence Control System
Drive systems:	Main drive rating 4
			FTL (Jump) Drive.

SERVICE DETAILS:

First entered service: xxxxx
Currently in OUDF Naval service: 4
Lost in action: Nil
Decomissioned/scrapped: Nil
Relegated to reserve fleet: Nil
Sold to other forces: Nil
Under construction: 4
Procurement cost: 5480 MUcr

The Oceania class Dreadnought or Battledreadnought depending on whose
definition you subscribe is typical of the design concept of the new
construction program for the OUDF navy. Designed to fight at range the
OUDF
Navy has opted to give the Oceania class an array of four class 4 beam
batteries supported by MT missiles. As with almost all designs of the
new
construction program the Oceania is equipped with a large PDS suite and
ADFC system.

While on operations the main task of the Oceania class will be to keep
the
enemy away from the new carriers, which are not designed close range
combat.

The latest unit to have completed construction, the OUS Brisbane has
just
been deployed to the fleet and is the 4th unit of the 10th
Battlesquadron,
the other units being the first three units of the class, the OUS
Oceania,
OUS Australia, and OUS New Zealand. The Battlesquadron it self is
homeported at Fleetbase XXXXXXX in the BD +35° 2270 star system.

A further four of the class is currently under construction.

SHIP NAMES:
Oceania 	completed xxxxxx.
Australia		completed xxxxxx.
New Zealand		completed xxxxxx.
Brisbane		completed xxxxxx.
Adelaide		under construction.
Canberra		under construction.
Perth			under construction.
Hobart		under construction.
Moresby 	Name not used yet
Suva			Name not used yet
Darwin		Name not used yet
Wellington		Name not used yet

Of course this is just my take on the OU Navy (part of a larger document
I'm working on).

OUDF Navy

	The OUDF Navy is the space going arm of the Oceanic Union
Defence Forces,
it is a professional volunteer force whose primary role is maintain the
security of the systems and territories which make up the Oceanic Union.

Because the Oceanic Union is a Multi system interstellar nation the OUDF
Navy has had to fully develop the capabilities required of a deep space
navy, capable of extended operations though not at the same force levels
of
say the NAC or ESU.

New construction program.

	Since it's inception the OUDF Navy has mostly either brought or
built
under license foreign designs modified for use within the OUDF
operational
roles. But with the outbreak of the 3rd Solar War in 2165 the government
of
the day committed the Oceanic Union to further developing its domestic
naval construction program. Analysts had suggested that the outbreak of
hostilities between the NAC and the ESU and their immediate allies would
tie up naval construction programs for the foreseeable future. With the
OUDF already looking to replace their battleships the first of which was
approaching the end of its service life and was due for replacement a
solution was required.

Previous defence reviews had recommended improving the Oceanic Union's
ship
building capability but this had never been acted upon. Since expanding
into space the OU has managed to stay out any major armed conflict,
there
have been numerous skirmishes with neighbouring nations but never a
protracted war. But the 3rd Solar War allowed factions of the government
gain support for a stronger military supported by a larger domestic
defence
industry, the OU had the required tech base to do this and within it's
star
systems it definitely had the resources.

Overall design scheme.

The premier strike arm of the OUDF Navy are the carriers and their
fighters, fighter strikes are used in concert with large numbers of
'More
Thrust' missiles from the battleline and cruisers to destroy enemy
vessels.
The battleline is used to protect the much more fragile carriers by
interposing themselves between the carriers and a potential threat.

Most of the OUDF Navy vessels have a thrust rating of 4. But there are
exceptions; the Collins class battlecruiser is one.

'More Thrust' missiles are the primary armament of the cruiser-sized
vessels.

Salvo missile racks are used on the carriers and destroyer sized
vessels.

The OUDF navy makes extensive use of ADFC systems on all of its vessels
help provide a formidable point defence network. OUDF navy doctrine is
for
vessels to remain in a small compact formation so the ADFC systems can
be
used to maximum advantage to protect each other and high value assets.

Of course this is a work in progress, tomorrow everything could change
(not
that I'm saying it will mind you...).	  ;-)

By the way just taken delivery of the NEW OU LIGHT CARRIER from Nic at
Eureka (I've got two sitting based and undercoated ready for painting at
my
work desk). Similar in shape and layout to the previous OU ship
miniatures
(if you haven't seen a example yet think 5th element Earth ships) with
the
addition of a hangar space attached as a outrigger arrangement, looks
very
nice.

So far that makes 3 x DD, 2 x CL, 2 x CH and now 2 x CVL hulls in my OU
fleet.

Derek

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: IF Fleet Next: RE: Fighters - Multi Role, Recce, SWAC, ECM/EW [FT] [FB]