Prev: Re: Fighters - Multi Role, Recce, SWAC, ECM/EW [FT] [FB] Next: Re: Fighters - Multi Role, Recc, etc. and Sensor Rules

Re: Fighters - Multi Role, Recce, SWAC, ECM/EW [FT] [FB]

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:11:12 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Fighters - Multi Role, Recce, SWAC, ECM/EW [FT] [FB]

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> My questions:
> 1. Has anyone thought of ECM/EW fighters and how to implement them?
> 2. SWACS? Same question?
> 3. Recce fighters?
> 4. Multi-role fighters - I haven't seen one yet. ie a fighter that
> could, with the correct addition or subtraction of kit be 1) a fast
> fighter (booster packs), 2) a long range fighter (drop tanks), 3) an
> ECM/EW fighter (ECM pods), 4) Recce fighter (sensor nodes), 5)
> interceptors (different weapons loadout), 6) attack fighters
> (different loadout).

The basic fighter comes under the heading of multirole. IT can
intercept,
it can bomb, it can escort....its just not as good at all of those
roles.
I see the basic fighter as a f-18. The Interceptor as the F-14, the Hvy
Fighter as the F-15 and the Attack Fighter/Torpedoe Fighter as the A-6
or similar dedicated aircraft.

> I'm assuming heavy fighters are more robustly constructed frame wise
> and that torpedo fighters are just a different beast (for some
> apocryphal reason known as "Stringbags").

The NSL player who had his SDN slammed hard with two flights of NAC
Torpedo Bombers would certainly agree.

> It seems to me that many of today's fighter jets are multi-role
> capable. How do we create such a beast in FT, cost it, and store its
> auxilliary components aboard the carrier?

Many of todays jets suffer from being multi role. The best EW aircraft
are dedicated.

A dedicated Ground attack aircraft will do a better job than a multi
role
aircraft.

- Ryan Montieth Gill	  NRA / DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -