Prev: Re: Metal Molder (was Re: Casting your own...) Next: RE: [FT] Sol and Gaia Class (another cut)

[FT] Re: Sol-SDN designs and Sol SDN-X (2nd proposal)

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:36:19 +1000
Subject: [FT] Re: Sol-SDN designs and Sol SDN-X (2nd proposal)

G'day Hobie, Tom, Tony, everybody,

>I'd have to agree with Tony and Schoon (FSE players have to stick
together)

Blast! I'd usually agree, but since I've been playing Narn recently I'm
gonna have to change sides on this one... guess my court martial'll be
in
the mail hey? ;)

>about the Hull of the UN SD's.  IMO SDN's and BDN's should have average
hulls at
>least.

My Bin'Tak has got a weak hull, but it's also got 25 boxes of armour. So
far I haven't had a problem even against that mother of a Kra'Vak SDN
one
of the guys designed (250 mass, 12 scatterguns, what feels like half a
billion class 4 railguns etc etc). Admittedly you probably can't stay
around too long, but then FSE players shold be used to that ;)

OK now on to the next issue:

>FT needs a good area effect weapon

I've played 5 games with my Narn so far, so I'm not exactly the expert,
but
emines are a mighty fine example of this - they work VERY well as a long
range PDS ("what pesky fighters were you referring to?"), and if you get
your placement down OK then they can do some good damage (though I've
got
to remember not to fly into them myself, so far I've managed to hull 4
of
my own ships!!!). We play them without rerolls by the way (otherwise
they're way to powerful or cripplingly expensive). Heavy beams are
another
good weapon, though not area effect they do give that extra punch, even
though we've added a -1 for level one screens, -2 for level 2 screens
(don't apply to any rerolls).

I for one think the UNSC SDN would be a very suitable candidiate for a
heavy beam! It would fit in with them being at the cutting edge of
technology etc etc. Though the idea of them actually having weapons that
turn out the lights instead of blowing them out is pretty attractive
too. I
realise you need to keep them FB compatible, but they do kind of need
something to set them apart (definitely need to do justice to the great
mini! Literally had to restrain Derek from ringing the UK for one!)

Just my 2 razoos worth.

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: Metal Molder (was Re: Casting your own...) Next: RE: [FT] Sol and Gaia Class (another cut)