Prev: UN Fleet "cutter" names, slightly OT Next: Re: A question of scale

Re: UN Fleet "cutter" names, slightly OT

From: "Magic" <rmako@c...>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 13:54:29 -0400
Subject: Re: UN Fleet "cutter" names, slightly OT

Kent,

Thanks for the exact references.  Being a Brown Shoe I am not the one to
name off Cutter Classes in the USCG (Doing so would definitly make me
lose
face with my Avation brethren).

OOTR:  Another point of Cutter type vessels is that they are not
designed to
stand and fight.  So prolly no armor (again at least until the war is
underway).

Bob

> >The vast majority of UN ships should be cutters.
>
> Coast Guard cutters (at least in the US) are currently named after (in
> descending order of cutter size):
>
> 1). Secretaries of the Treasury or Transportation (depending on who
had
> oversight for the CG or its predecessor the Revenue Cutter Service at
the
> time) aka "Hamilton Class."
> 2). Famous previous CG/RCS cutters, aka "Bear" class
> 3). Admirable qualities, aka "Vigilance" (?) class (A Coastie I know
quips
> about the USCGC Punctuality...)
> 4). Islands
> 5). Coastal points
> 6). Fish
>
> The Island/Point classes already match with the previous discussions
of
> naming UNSC vessels after geographic features of Earth, as is fitting
for
> pan-national organization.
>
> As has already been proposed as well, a "Secretary" class of something
or
> other named after previous UN Secretary Generals would be a good one,
and
> who wouldn't want to be stationed on a "Punctuality" class resupply
ship?

--->Lots a good stuff cut here ---