Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] NEW STUFF - Pix hosted! Next: Re: Alien rules?

RE: SGII: Firing DFFG at infantry

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 23:12:00 -0400
Subject: RE: SGII: Firing DFFG at infantry

>1.	It depends on how you mounted them.  If it's a twin mount (ie:
twin
>turret), then they're fired together using 1 action (Q + FC + FC).   If
>they're mounted separately, then they can only be fire using to
separate
>fire actions.	Overall the twin mount is more efficient, but you need
to use
>you other action to avoid wastage (movement is good)

If they are sighted at the same impact point, why would you roll two
separate FC die?  Same FC system guides both weapons... think about a
quad
.50 cal anti-aircraft mount - you have ONE FC system for all of the
weapons....

In the case of a turret mounting two DFFGs, one would assume they are
made
to be fired together at the same target, so roll a Quality die and a
*single* FC die.  But since there are two weapons firing, if there is a
hit, the IMPACTs would be rolled separately.

Alternately, the FC system might be set up to fire each of the DFFGs
separately using the same FC, but from a game mechanic point of view,
you
couldn't fire them with the same ACTION.  You would have to roll (Q +
FC)
for the first weapon, resolve the hit, and then spend a separate action
fire the other weapon.	This is kind of unusual though - the only reason
have two of the same kind of weapon in the same turret with the same FC
system is to maximize the potential damage, so they'd fire together...
On
the other hand, maybe with weapons like the DFFG they need time to cool
between shots, so you put two in the turret to increase your fire
rate.....

Anyway, in the case described in the question, you should roll ONE hit
for
the combined weapons (Q + FC) and impact for the weapons SEPARATELY.

I don't think there is any occasion covered by the rules that you would
see
more than ONE FC die being rolled in a single fire action.

When infantry fire and add in support weapons, you can have more than
one
FIREPOWER die (Quality, squad rifles' firepower, SAW firepower, IAVR
firepower if used, etc), but that is the only case where there would be
more than 2 dice used in the FIREPOWER roll.  Never with vehicle FC
systems.

>2.	In SG, any vehicle FC weapon rolls d8 impact against infantry,
>regardless of the weapon type or class (ground fragmentation, etc).
It's
>slightly different in DS, as all vehicle FC weapons draw 2 chits,
except for
>the DFFG which draws 3 against infantry?!?

Ummm...

not quite.

The d8 impact against infantry is for anti-armour weapons used against
infantry.  If the heavy weapon is an anti-infantry specific weapon, or
uses
anti-infantry ammunition, then you use the impact as it is listed.  Now,
this is kind of vague, 'cause most of the heavy weapons listed in the
rules
are anti-tank anyway, but what the rule in the book says (pg 40) about
using d8 impact is specific to situations when "a tank or other heavy
combat vehicle needs or wished to fire its 'main" direct-fire armament
against an infantry target;  this IS possible, but is generally not very
effective...." etc.

An example would be the RFAC.  We know that an RFAC size class 1 is
basically a 50 cal machinegun, or a 20mm autocannon.  Any soldier on the
list will tell you that the 50 cal mg makes a devestating anti-infantry
weapon, and there's no way its impact value would not go DOWN vs an
infantry target, compared to its impact on a truck, for example.

An IAVR has an impact of d12 vs dispersed targets (infantry) making it
rather devastating (pg 34).  If a vehicle mounted heavy weapon fires a
round with a warhead with similar effectiveness (considering that the
IAVR
is really an anti-ARMOUR weapon), why would it do LESS damage?

In any case, the question was about DFFG's used against infantry.  In
this
case, where the weapon is SPECIFICALLY a direct-fire weapon for point
targets (anti-armour) the impact damage is d8 vs. infantry...

What we need are some more designs for warhead types/weapon types for
anti-infantry heavy weapons - since there are few/none in the book.....

>'Neath Southern Skies - http://users.mcmedia.com.au/~denian/

Adrian Johnson
ajohnson@idirect.com

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] NEW STUFF - Pix hosted! Next: Re: Alien rules?