Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] MORE NEW STUFF NEWS!! Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] NEW STUFF - hosting pix?

Re: UN Ship Names

From: Steven M Goode <gromit+@C...>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:25:49 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: UN Ship Names

Excerpts from mail: 20-Oct-99 UN Ship Names by Thomas t. C. Barclay@hom

> We had ship classes named after rivers, seas, oceans, mountain ranges,
> island chains, continents, lakes, deserts, volcanoes, glaciers,
cities,
> nations, etc. I think there was talk of naming things after Sol system
> bodies too.
>
> The "scale" or "majesty" of the particular sub-scheme determined the
> class of ship.
>
> This was a near universally acceptable naming scheme, and didn't try
> single out individuals which is frought with politics in the UN
setting.
> Neither was it limiting in focus (ships such as Bureacrat class, or
the
> Administrator Class....).
> It also had a huge range of names to use as Earth has lots of things.
>
> The neat things about these classes is you can set reasonably clear
> boundaries for what defines a viable name.
>
> Some examples:
> The Continent-Class SDN: UNS North America, UNS South America, UNS
> Europe, UNS Africa, UNS Asia, UNS Pangea

<SNIP>

Good idea!  Some of the specific names you listed are rather
American/Western-specific, though.  And I'd shy away from naming ship
types after man-made features.	I'd stick with natural features.  Also,
you could go up in scale:

Galaxy Class
Nebula Class
Star Class (Antares, Ross, etc.)
Planet Class (Neptune, Venus, etc.)

and then down to ones you suggested such as:
Continent Class
Ocean Class
Sea Class
Mountain Range Class
River Class
Mountain Class

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] MORE NEW STUFF NEWS!! Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] NEW STUFF - hosting pix?