Prev: Re: MKW Update 2 Next: Re: A question of scale

Re: A question of scale

From: Tony Francis <tony@g...>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 16:10:42 +0100
Subject: Re: A question of scale

Thomas Pope wrote:

> Tony Francis wrote:
> >
> > Last I saw they were 1/2400th. I'd already given up making
spaceships to a
> > fixed scale. If it looks OK then it's the right size.
>
> While I'm a firm supporter of that idea in most cases, I've got this
> crazy idea in my head to scratchbuild a Waldburg-class destroyer in
25mm
> scale so I can run FMA boarding actions.
>
> If I ever actually attempt that project, I'd like to have to good idea
> of how big it's 'supposed' to be before I start...

Wel, first you need to decide what scale 25mm is (no, that's NOT an
invite to
open that discussion again, thank you).

How big is the destroyer ? Around 40mm long ? If we assume that 25mm is
1/65th
(no flames please, this is only an example) and our destroyer is
1/3000th scale
that scales up to (um, calculator ...) 1.8m-ish. If you were to build
your 25mm
destroyer at 1/72nd and assume it's 1/2000th scale that works out at
only 1.1m.
I see your problem now - a 65% difference depending upon choice of
scale.

I've come across this problem when trying to build an assault craft in
both DS2
and FT sizes. DS2 is easy to pin down, it's 1/300th - no problems there.
wanted to make the FT version about 10mm long (ie large enough to have
at least
some detail on it) but that scales up to 100mm for DS2 (assuming FT =
1/3000th).
Much bigger than I wanted to be. However, shrink the DS2 one and the FT
model
becomes too small to see ... and so on. In the end I've decided that the
scales
can go jump off a cliff and I'll make my FT one 10mm long, my DS2 one
about 60mm
long and ignore the scale inconsistencies.

Tony

Prev: Re: MKW Update 2 Next: Re: A question of scale