Prev: Re: DS2 Opertunity Fire Next: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #507

[FT] Review the Phalons

From: "Tim Jones" <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:01:57 +0100
Subject: [FT] Review the Phalons

I have just received my 20 quid ship packs from GZG
as advertised on the back of Ragnarok 31. I cannot
recommend these enough for value for money, *exceptional*

This review covers the phalons, of which there is
little press on this list, soon to change when the
fleet book 2 comes out. I had ordered the earlier light
phalon units and was a bit underwhelmed by them, this has
now all changed with the larger ships now being available.

These are sculpted by Dave Garnham, who also did the
Sav'asku. The Phalons are IMO superior to the SV
miniatures with respect to detail and assembly.

I refer to the catalogue page for the Phalons
for reference, though they don't do the actual models
justice.

http://www.lightspeed.u-net.com/gzg/gzg-ft-ph.html

FT814 Fighter Mother ship heavy  (I think the picture
caption is the wrong way around for 814 & 813)

This comes in several pieces, but they are all a good fit.
Some filling required on the neck. The raised fighter pods locate
very well and are easily glued in place. The detail is very good lots
of dimples and vents and its a huge heavy piece of metal. There are
several small vent tubes to glue on to give a very good organic feel.

FT811 Light Dreadnought same construction quality as the
mother ship and level of detail good, again with glue on vent
pieces and pod (these can be seen sticking out of the picture)
filling on the neck required.

FT809 Battlecruiser, these are the stars of the show one piece
heavy, strong and beautifully detailed and shaped. They have a nice
organic feel and a certain menace. Very much like the ships in the
manga outlanders.

FT808 Heavy Cruiser, like the battle cruiser, these things are
lovely one piece with lots of detail, even the shells have a
dimple pattern all over. As heavy cruisers these things feel tough
and unstoppable.

These are really nice models, which look good together and will
be very eye catching on the table. I haven't decided fully on
a colour scheme yet, but will probably base it on the blue, pink
and red from some of the Outlanders covers. The vents and orifices
will be pink/red.

I wait with baited breath for the new rule sets to cover this
amazing new addition to the GZG line. I have most of their ships
to date (bar the IF) and these are the most interesting so far IMO.
In addition these could all double as excellent alien grav/gev vehicles.

-= tim jones =-

Prev: Re: DS2 Opertunity Fire Next: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #507