Prev: Re: NAC language suppression Next: Terrain - craft shop style

Re: NAC language suppression

From: "Scott Case" <tgunner@h...>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 06:17:21 PDT
Subject: Re: NAC language suppression

>Having said that, I heard a story once about a joint military >exercise
in
>the US that had Australian (I think), US, British, (and >one other -
maybe
>Israeli) troops all operating together.  They found >that language was
>still a barrier, 'cause the Americans had a really >hard time
understanding
>the Brits over the radio....  Same with the >Brits and people speaking
with
>southern US accents...

Interesting enough, I'm a southerner who has just returned from a trip
the UK and I learned that I couldn't understand anyone there who was
from
any where north of London... but I found that after a couple of pints
that I
could easily understand this girl I met from Yorkshire! ;) LOL!

Seriously though, I noticed that in the US Army that regional accents
tend
to get blurred and that 'army speak' tends to take over. After a few
years
in military service even yankees could understand us southerners- plus
we
used the same 'slang' (milspeak like AO, and so on)... I would imagine
that
the same would be the case in the NAC military.

Prev: Re: NAC language suppression Next: Terrain - craft shop style